Friday, September 09, 2005

I'll Just Say It: Bush Drives Me Batshit


I hope you didn't hear it here first: Bush is waiving prevailing wage and minimum wage requirements for contractors who are going to rebuild New Orleans. Working Life has covered this ground. The New York Times thinks this hurts Bush's attempts to rebuild his image (which is no doubt the only thing Bush cares about rebuilding) but who knows? Maybe people have been taking it for so long, they don't even remember what "prevailing wage" is. When the minimum wage is so low, does it even matter that it exists?

Please please please let's not squander an opportunity to create decent-paying jobs. Is it already too late? I hope I am not being alarmist in my fears that this will just be carried off like the other flotsam of the flood, cleared away from the pipe pumping the toxic river of capital....

Oh God, now I'm writing poetry. Stop the madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home